Monday, September 26, 2011

Yikes...

Trying to reflect on my 6-months-left anniversary is proving a little difficult. Suffice it to say that I have a hefty to do list and intend to stay busy, hopefully making the remaining months both productive and quick to pass.  There are good days here-mostly good days actually-and I will miss so many things about life in a quiet mountain town in another country. 

I'll actually miss the chicken bus rides, open air markets, casual conversation with random people in town, bringing my dog everywhere with me (mostly taking advantage of being a gringa there..), awesome street food, paca (guatemalan thrift store) shopping, getting to know new places, rain on my tin roof.... *sigh*

But I'm really looking forward to wearing sweats outside without getting weird looks, not being stared at in general, being with family and friends, Barbecues, long drives in the country, being out after dark..... 

So even though I have one more big fat plus on the side of coming home (my awesome boyfriend), I'm still ambiguous about leaving.  The fact is that I love living abroad, and I love my job.  Every day is an adventure, and those little "peace corps moments' sneak their way in at the most unexpected times.  It would be easy to start counting down, hoping that that moment when I step on the plane to head home comes soon-but I'm tryning not to take for granted the time that I still have here.  It's a balancing act I'm still working out-and probably will be until that final day arrives. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment