Friday, February 12, 2010

Aqui estoy...

A month has passed here in Guatemala. Time flies in the life of a Trainee, our schedules packed with Spanish classes and technical sessions. I still have to pinch myself sometimes as I start to feel comfortable in my host community, with my host family, with my fellow Trainees. The hardest part so far was just getting on the plane in Miami heading to Guatemala City. I guess I´m still waiting for that moment when I realize that I´m finally here, under the umbrella of Peace Corps, and that I survived a month of training!
To sum up the last month would be impossible so I´m not going to try. I´ll just start with today. Our spanish teacher took us to an Organic Macadamia Nut Farm outside of Antigua to sample the goods and take the free tour. This included a macadamia nut oil facial and the heavenly macadamia nut chocolates. I was just sad we didn´t make it for breakfast- macadamia nut pancakes with macadamia nut butter.... yumm...
Aside from that, tomorrow i´ll be frantically preparing to leave for a week of Field-Based Training which I am really excited for. A week of meeting ´real live Volunteers´ and hear about what their jobs are (the big questions for us Trainees). You´ll have to hear about it later!
Writing from an internet cafe so i´ll cut myself off now. More to follow.....

2 comments:

  1. Sooooo great to hear from you. Sounds like you are having a great time with lots of unique experiences. We think about you often and wish you well. Everyone here is doing great. Lori, Steve & Gina (Paso)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear your enjoying all that is around you. Your blog will be like a good book... You can't wait for what happens next. Thanks for keeping us close. Be well and safe.

    The Kreske Family

    ReplyDelete