Saturday, March 20, 2010

Al fin!

At last, I received the much anticipated site assignment, followed shortly by the equally anticipated site visit. I am now preparing to return to my training town for a few short days filled with paperwork and such. Then, swearing in! a few days to relax in Antigua before returning here. Where is here, you ask? For security purposes, i'm not allowed to say exactly. I'll give you a few hints. Its in the western highlands, near Xela (Quetzaltenango), and the town is a major producer of milk, which is processed in xela and readily available here as mozzarella and cheddar cheese (!) as well as yogurt. I'm in big trouble....
The town itself is pretty quiet. I haven't heard one Evangelical church service, the roosters are far enough away to be charming, there is a park forest with trails like a block away from where i'll be living...... oh and my other site, an aldea of the municipality, is a rural community with their own hot springs !
My job, environmental interpretation for the trail that is still in construction, finishing the trail, environmental education in the schools and community, and trash management. Could I ask for anything more?!
To top things off, the volunteer who is here now has extended her service so i get to grill her for my first two months here and learn from her experiences. Also, had dinner (lasagna!!) with my future host family last night and they're great too. All in all, I feel very fortunate, and am so excited to begin my work here.
Stay tuned.....

3 comments:

  1. Hey Amber,
    So great to read up on your blogs. You look so good in your pics. Very happy with lots of adventure. I love the apron picture. I love seeing the scenery photos too.
    Happy to hear that you received your assignment town. Now the good stuff begins.
    I look forward to reading about your future experiences.
    Take care,
    Miss you,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber! Happy Birthday! Looks like your having fun! Keep up the cool pics and blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks i missed u guys on my birthday, i feel like its been kind of a big thing with all of us the last few years.

    ReplyDelete