Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Crazy little thing called.... confianza

It's strange, I finally am starting to feel comfortable in my training community- and alas it is nearing our time of departure. My spanish took a huge leap forward this past week-i think this had something to do with my falling asleep to the Reggaeton station here, which is of course in spanish. I could actually understand the dinner conversation when my family was talking at 'full speed' the last couple of nights, which is huge for me. I think that this in turn caused some subtle change in my dynamics in my host family... hello, confianza. or at least the beginnings of the much sought after 'confianza' or confidence that equates to acceptance and trust from guatemalans. As an example, I helped my sister out with roasted corn on the cob over the grill last night... I was a happy camper. It's amazing how a little taste of home, like grilling outdoors over a little grill, can make me feel at home. I was also reminded of all the rockin barbecues we had in my backyard in slo, and reflect on the charmed life i've lead so far, and solidify the commitment to trying to 'give back' or give forward some of the blessings i have in my life.
Reflecting on all of the wonderful experiences i've been fortunate enough to have, and remembering all my amazing friends and family definitely helps me to fortify my commitment to serving here.
So thanks to everyone who has shared some good times with me, here's to more to come. especially if you come visit me down here =)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amber! It's Gina...sounds like everything is going great! Thanks for FINALLY starting this blog haha jk I can see you've had a lot going on since you've been there....I can't believe you've already been gone 2 months! Miss you, can't wait til Nicole and I come visit. I'm pretty envious of your spanish speaking skills and the mangoes, eat one for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i forgot to say anything about the weather. its comparable to SLO right now... when the sun is out its very strong but it gets really cold when theres cloud cover. theres been a few showers of rain but not much. its about to be the hottest season, march is supposed to be pretty warm
    it sucks because we have to dress really conservative, aka, pants, no tanks... i sweat like a mother.
    i can´t wait for you to come down, its gonna be rad. i´ll know all the cool spots to go by then!

    ReplyDelete