Thursday, December 8, 2011

7 Days of Feria

I realize that I may have poo-pooed the rich tradition of the feria here, and now I'd like to repent.  I was talking with a friend on the phone last night and she urged me to try to enjoy it-it is, after all, my last feria here.  And while in the future I'll surely happen upon another feria, I will never again live a block away from the action. 

In an attempt to deliver to you the culture of the feria, I now give you the Seven Days of Feria.  Last night, I was cozy in my room, skyping with my boyfriend, surfing the internet, and surely would have let my laziness and the freezing cold winds keep me inside-except for my self assigned homework to report to you, readers ;)  Feel good to rescue me from my homebody self? 

Without further ado, I give you Day 1 of Feria...

Tail end of a parade showcasing the newly elected reinas, or queens, of the Feria

Bird's eye view of the shantytown constructed by street vendors

View of the historic clock tower and new muni building-and yes, that does say Palacio, or 'palace'.....


Beautiful sunset last night over the plaza


So, in short, Feria is a lot cooler this year-I know way more people...making it much more enjoyable to wander through the stalls, watch the basketball game a little, sample the street fare.  I told Tony that this may be the most famous I'll ever be-to which he responded "I doubt it." Such a sweetheart.  But I guess that living somewhere for two years and being the only white girl, it'd be hard not to wind up 'famous' or at least 'recognized.'

And maybe that's part of the secret to enjoying feria-in a place with few social gatherings, and even fewer (ok none) after dark, feria gives the people here an excuse to leave the house at night, run into acquaintances, friends, and family, and reconnect over a hot pupusa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment