Friday, December 9, 2011

Day 2 of Feria Fun

Overnight, my blog reached 2,000 page views (total)...not very impressive in the wide world of blogging, but I'm still psyched. Thank YOU for reading =)

At any rate, my cold came back with a vengeance yesterday =( in the form of an awful, brain rattling cough.   I was hoping it would go away by nighttime and therefore didn't buy ANY cold medicine during the day.  Also went to see my host brother and sister play basketball-they both killed it, btw.  Since nothing cures the cold (or at least makes it bearable) like great movies.  Therefore I watched A New Hope (again), a movie that never gets old and leaves me happy and in awe every time.  I also watched that episode of The Walking Dead where (spoiler alert) Shane shoots the fat guy in the foot so he can escape the zombies.... oh man, he's so hard core.

This morning I headed to the pharmacy and picked up an assortment of nyquil and other cold and flu medicines-including Tabcin, an effervescing tablet that Guatemalans swear by for the common cold.  And I was skeptical until I tried it-I'm not sure if its helping my symptoms or not, but dropping the tablet in my hot lemon water and watching it fizz is pretty fun!  Also, super exciting, I got a little tin of Vicks VapoRub for only Q5-thats like 60 cents!  Silver linings to my trip to the pharmacy.

Since all the feria hoopla has brought work to a bit of a standstill, I've had (more) time to daydream about coming home.  Coming Home, for Peace Corps Volunteers that have made it through their service, surprisingly fills us with the same heebie jeebies (or maybe worse) that we had two years ago, preparing to get on a plane and having no idea what awaited us on the other side.  Now, I could not be happier to be reunited with my boyfriend, friends and family, my beloved Central Coast, driving, going out after dark. I have finally felt 'at home' here in my town, but there's no place like home, as they say.  And despite the doubts that I've been trying to articulate now for a few weeks, I recognize them now for the feeling you get whenever confronted with a major transition in life.  And although uncomfortable, I love it-the not knowing, the endless possibilities, the anticipation.  I'll be riding this high until it comes time to step foot on that plane. 

That being said, ready for Day 2 of Feria?!  All I managed to to do was drag my butt to the basketball games but I think I got some cute ones of my host family.  Enjoy...

At the basketball game with Lidelia and her granddaughter Rachel (Why am I sticking out my tongue??)

Found out that my camera sucks at taking action/sport shots but i got this one with both my host sisters in it
-and they're even smiling!

At the licuado stand-basically a smoothie, but since the fruit is fresh, they are Delicious, beating the pants off of any pineapple blended drink you could hope to get in the States.

Guatemalan version of churros.  You can even get them doused in chocolate or caramel sauce.  This is one of the things I fall prey to-thinking they are going to magically taste like Mexican churros suddenly (they never do)...


It got COLD-luckily I brought my trusty Cal Poly mug to keep our cider warm


1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Amber. Thanks! We can't wait to see you when you come home:) Take care! Lori

    ReplyDelete