Sunday, December 4, 2011

Feria!...

It's that time of year again-feria.  Each Guatemalan town has a different patron saint, which they celebrate with a week long festival called Feria each year.  Vendors come to town and build a shanty town out of 2x4's and corrugated tin roofing, selling roscas (like pretzels), dulce tipicos (an assortment of sweets), really terrible pizza, hot dogs, churros that are nothing like mexican churros, and also clothes, kitchen items, etc etc.

I couldn't write anything nice about feria-all it translates to for me is annoyingly loud music, annoyingly drunk men stumbling through the streets of my town, and events that people expect me to get excited about but I can't (like beauty pageants and grown men dancing in cartoon character costumes), most of which happen in the late afternoon and night time-you know, when it falls below 40 degrees out. 

I also got a sore throat and runny nose yesterday so I had a rather sedentary weekend.  Tried to lay low to get over it quickly.  I watched half a season of Grey's Anatomy yesterday. 

Back to Feria, it isn't officially starting until Wednesday so maybe more thrilling updates as the week progresses =0 

No comments:

Post a Comment