Friday, November 11, 2011

Murphy's Law

Do you ever have those days where things just go horribly, comically awry? Yesterday was one of those days for me.  I woke up way before necessary and stumbled out to get the coffee going in my french press.  When I put the lid on with the hot water and ground coffee in, the filter came off and sunk down to bottom of the jar.... =/ It took me like 5 minutes to get the filter out of the hot water and screwed back on properly.  I was cursing and thinking "I can't deal with this, I haven't had my coffee yet!".... Little did I know this was an indication of the rest of my day.

At the risk of sounding like an old country song... My internet stopped working, I got catcalled by long-haired, greasy teenagers, and my bus broke down halfway up the mountain. And I bought a mexican torta from the new restaurant in town that was so bad, I fed it to my dog after one bite.

However, there is always a silver lining-I was so worked up that I went for a run to burn off some frustration before heading to the Tigo (internet provider) store.  Yes, I've started running after many years of proclaiming that "I don't run."  The nice weather got me feeling antsy with a lot of pent up energy.  I've been hiking and walking my dog so much that it doesn't really get me winded anymore.  I live at over 9,000 ft and all the roads I walk on have big, steep hills.  I decided to try running or jogging. I actually googled "how to start running," having no idea, and feeling that I would probably hate it and go back to power walking after one try. 

But I really enjoyed it.  I started three weeks ago and have been increasing my run intervals and decreasing walking time-yesterday i ran for like 4 minutes without feeling like keeling over.  Progress.  Maybe at this point in my service, I feel like I need to do something that produces tangible, rapid results.  Not a whole lot of that in development work.  I was concerned that I would get catcalled or feel uncomfortable in my sweatpants, sweating and huffing and pufffing along.  But I'm known well enough in my community that I usually see people I know, or that know me, and greet me and wave as I go by.  So, while I won't be running a Marathon anytime soon, I can measure in minutes and meters an improvement in myself. 

And my Comedy of Errors sort of day?  It ended the only way one of those days can end-with a good movie and a big glass of red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment