Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Turn around those December Doldrums..

I got back from vacation on Sunday, and after a day of recuperation from the grueling bus ride on Monday I woke up on Tuesday and asked myself What now?

Rejuvenated from a couple of days in the Caribbean, I was full of energy and ready to throw myself into changing the world with a new passion-only one problem.  December may be the worst month to be a PCV-if you're like me and elected to spend your meager Peace Corps stipend on seeing the sights in and around your host country instead of flying home for the holidays.  |Because Guatemalans do celebrate Christmas, along with a host of traditions and festivities in the weeks leading up to Christmas, and New Years, and in my site the feria, or carnival to celebrate the patron saint of Sija, occurs from the 7th to the 14th of December officially.  Unofficially, what all of this boils down to is a general spirit of festivity and vacation for the entire month of December.....or, to put it more simply, no one really does any work for the next 30 days.

*sigh*

Having already frivolously spent all my vacation days and all my money (anybody surprised by this?), I run the risk of going absolutely insane playing the waiting game this December. In order to avoid, or at least quell, this dilemma, I sat down and made a list of goals for December-things I can do by myself, or nearly by myself, that don't cost a lot of money, can be done in or around my site, improve my physical and mental well being, and are constructive.  In an attempt to cement my commitment to these goals, I've decided to share them with you all.  Here goes.....


Work Goals for December:

1. First draft of Flora and Fauna Guide for the park
2. Trail Work (got a lofty list that I won't share here)
3. Request Letter of Recommendation from my Peace Corps boss
4. Information Booth for our Park during Feria
5. Make headway on Recycling efforts
6. Mural in Community Library
7. Get involved in Peace Corps training and support activities
8. Make flyers to publicize our trail in Spanish Schools in Xela

Personal Goals for December:

1. Run 5k (not even an official race, just be able to run that far without stopping)
2. Buy kennel for Bella
3. Climb Volcan Tajumulco
4. Start cleaning out apartment
5. Take my own recyclables to Recycling Center in Xela
6. Spend time with host family


For all my fellow PCV's that aren't traveling home for the holidays, I know how tough it can be.  Hope I've motivated you to turn December into a transformative month in your service-a time to catch your breath, make personal changes and improvements, and get ready to work hard again in January =)  I love marathons of Grey's Anatomy as much as the next PCV, don't get me wrong- but here's a chance to break up the movie watching and baking.

Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment