Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Where did November go?

It's been a week and a half since I wrote?? Is it just me-or is this November just flying by? Which leads me to wonder what the hell I've been up to since then-glancing at my calendar, scratching my head.. Peace Corps brought a group of ecotourism volunteers here for their in-service training-An opportunity for Volunteers at their 1 year mark to learn new technical skills that apply to the projects they are working on.  We were able to go up to our park and talk about trail design and maintenance.  I'm happy to say that the previous Volunteer and the NGO Helvetas ProBosque, together with the local park committee, did a pretty good job constructing the trail here to begin with, so it served as a great example for the group that came.

Wednesday I was supposed to take my group of kids hiking, but was struck with a case of food poisoning that kept me in bed clutching my stomach all day.  Just when I thought I had developed that Iron Stomach so coveted in the PCV population-I hadn't been sick in months-there's nothing like a good stomach flu to keep you humble. 

Luckily, that only lasted one long, painful day.  Unluckily, the rainy, grey skies persisted on Thursday and Friday..and right now I've about had it with the grey cold drearies since they prevent me from working in the park =/ 

Saturday my friend Steph and I made a happy discovery in Xela-the existence of a delicious microbrew, served in pitcher form no less, right next to our bus stops!  AND, in a town devoid of outdoor seating because Guatemalans just aren't into it, an outdoor patio to sip our brews and chat.  You have to understand, there is NO beer on tap here, and the national beers are terrible, so this is a huge windfall. 

After a typical Sunday (laundry, dishes, cleaning the apartment, run) I headed up to the trail yesterday to do a little honest work.  I'm fortunate to have the opportunity and ability to do some manual labor in the park when I want to, and our trail maintenance seminar inspired me to grab a hoe and get a little dirty.  Sometimes you just need to put effort into something that gives you results you can see-the Holy Grail of Peace Corps life. 

And that brings us to today, Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  Peace Corps was gracious in giving us Wednesday through Sunday off, and so I am taking a much needed trip to the Caribbean Coast with Tara.  While part of me wishes I were sharing Turkey Day with all of you back in the States, another part of me can already taste the grilled lobster and rum-filled coconut.  I love the day before a trip-the anxiety and excitement, something that I have truly come to enjoy here. 

Happy Turkey Day everyone! 

Adventure on our trail

They got me to play soccer-Bella helped too

Bellá and my host family's husky, Gold

Keeping warm with Bella and Pia, another Volunteer's dog


OK, I just realized 3/4 pictures with and of my puppy =/  I can't help it!  Hopefully you think she's as cute as I do.

Eat a slice of pumpkin pie for me and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

xoxo
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment