Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey Day in the Caribbean

Just got back last night from a wonderful Thanksgiving vacation to the Caribbean. Traveling ALL DAY (Guatemala has made me into a marathon traveler-13 hours to get from home to our hotel in Livingston), we woke up on Turkey Day feeling like a hike to stretch out after the bus ride.   We hiked to Siete Altares, or Seven Altars, a cascading set of pools leading out to the ocean.  After the hour and a half long walk, jumping in the cool springwater felt amazing.  Surrounded by jungle, the 7 Altares pools were a beautiful way to start our vacay. 

We returned from our afternoon of hiking, swimming, and drinking on the beach Hungry!  Thanks to Rusty, owner of Casa de la Iguana hostel in Livingston, Guatemala, we had a traditional turkey meal attended by lots of Peace Corps Volunteers and other travelers.  I ate the best turkey I'd ever had and actually managed to say no to the mountains of mashed potatoes and gravy so's not to stuff myself beyond capacity.   I defintely missed the leftovers though =(



The day after we left Livingston to enjoy another hotel called Finca Tatin.  It's a little place in the jungle upriver on Rio Dulce.  I like it because they have lots of hammocks and several docks for sunning and swimming, t he food is great, and the rooms are in the jungle.  Lights go out at 10 b/c the whole place runs on a generator so you can enjoy a quiet night surround by jungle sound s and complete darkness.


We got to spend one afternoon sunning, swimming, and enjoying a few cold ones.  In the morning, we took kayaks out on Rio Dulce and paddled along the shores for a few hours.  I forgot how stunning every  turn around the river is.  I was also excited to see a few green iguanas in the trees. Unfortunately, its obvious that they are hunted because as soon as they saw me (from pretty far away) they headed up high into the trees.  



All too soon it was time to head home =(  but not before meeting two couples that are living my dreams-one cute young Australian couple who travel "professionally," traveling and picking up odd jobs in between with no real home base-and an older couple who bought a 36' sailboat 16 years ago in Louisiana and have been sailing around the Caribbean since then.  Both (hopefully) kind of a look into my future.  


Anyways, like i was saying, the time to leave the Caribbean came all too quickly. It always does. Which is why I think more and more about someday never having to leave =) 





Hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving with family and friends and too much food!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds maravilloso Amber! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving! I wish I were in the Caribbean, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, every time I'm there it gets harder to leave =)

    ReplyDelete